Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants can help meet the cost of making changes to your home so you or someone you live with can live safely and independently. People of all ages and tenures can apply to their local council for a grant.

  • Opening date: (Midnight)
  • Closing date: (Midnight)

Get updates about this grant

Sign up for updates



You could get a grant from your council if you or someone you live with needs to make changes to your home, to live safely and independently.

You or someone you live with might:

  • be autistic

  • have a mental health condition

  • be physically disabled

  • have a learning disability

  • have cognitive impairments e.g. dementia

  • have a progressive condition e.g. motor neurone disease

  • have age related disabilities

  • live with a terminal illness

Changes you might need to make to your home could be to:

  • widen doors and install ramps or grabrails

  • improving access to rooms and facilities e.g. install a stairlift, level access shower, or create a downstairs bathroom

  • improve access to and from your garden

  • build an extension, for example, to provide a downstairs bedroom

  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs

  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

  • get assistive technology to help you live more independently

If your application is approved by your local council, how much you get depends on:

  • your household income

  • your household savings over £6,000

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

The maximum grant amount for a single application is below.

Councils can top up grants if this is locally and set out in local policies.

  • England - up to £30,000 per applicant

  • Wales - up to £36,000 per applicant

  • Northern Ireland - up to £25,000 per applicant

  • Scotland Disabled Facilities Grants are not available - find out about support for equipment and adaptations


To apply for a grant you must be:

  • a homeowner (this can include if you are a landlord with a disabled tenant)

  • a council tenant

  • a housing association tenant

  • a private tenant

  • someone who lives in a houseboat or caravan

If you aren’t a homeowner or tenant, then the homeowner or tenant must make the application on your behalf.

You or the person you are applying for that needs changes made to your property must intend to live in the property during the grant period. This is usually 5 years but can be shorter depending on your health and circumstances.

Your local council needs to be happy that the work to your property is:

  • necessary and appropriate to meet your needs or those of the person you are applying for

  • reasonable and can be done - depending on the age and condition of the property

Your local council will check what changes you need, usually through a home visit by an occupational therapist or trusted assessor.


The Disabled Facilities Grant aims to help eligible older and disabled people to make changes to their home so they can access and use all essential facilities. Changes to the home could include widening doors, installing ramps, grabrails, or a level access shower, building an extension, adapting or providing a suitable heating system or getting assistive technology to help you live more independently.


Applications may be submitted at any time.

How to apply

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant through your local council.

Supporting information

You can find out more information about the grant and how to apply below: